The veterinary industry agrees that vaccines are necessary but the frequency in which they are administered is often debated. In particular, the recommendation to administer core vaccines (Hepatitis, Parvovirus, Distemper) to adult dogs every 3 years.
It has now been shown that duration of immunity after vaccination with MLV vaccines for most animals will be many years or a lifetime, based on challenge and serological studies (Schultz et al. 2010). If an animal already has a protective level of immunity, further vaccination will not be required.
VacciCheck is a rapid and affordable option to check antibody levels for the core diseases, it provides easy to interpret results which determine whether your dog has a protective level of immune response or whether they need revaccination.
This is supported by the World Small Animal Veterinary Association (WSAVA) Guidelines, which state that an animal that returns a positive titre has a protective level of immunity and therefore does not require revaccination.
There are several ways titre testing can be beneficial to determine a dog’s antibody levels of the 3 core diseases:
- To determine when it is optimal to end a vaccine series
- After a vaccination to indicate immunisation success was achieved
- To determine if a booster is required
- To ascertain existing protection for a lapsed vaccination program
- To test a stray/abandoned animal with no clinical history
- To test animals on immunosuppressant treatment
- Can be used as part of an annual health check program
- Can help with minimising the risk of adverse effects of vaccinations
- Reduces the risk of over-vaccination consequences
- Quick results
Titre testing involves a full clinical exam and blood sampling from the leg or neck. We will then run the test and email the results and interpretation to you. The cost of titre testing is £50 or free as part of our holistic health care plan.
If your pet requires re-vaccination the cost of the vaccine is reduced to £15 (usually £48.50).